Thursday, November 09, 2006

John Hall's Letter To Faithful

The day after the day after, and we have our first word down from on high, so thought I would share it here. One interesting note about the letter...seems Sue Kelly is wanting a recount, and has withdrawn her concession.
John Hall's Letter to the Faithful
Dear Sherwood,
By now, most of you have probably heard the good news, but for those of you not glued to the TV news ...
WE WON!!
Our amazing campaign ended last night with amazing, suspenseful, ultimately jubiliant victory party. With 97% of the precincts reporting, we've earned 51% of the vote. (The rest of the votes are coming in from heavily Democratic areas). You can watch part of my victory speech on the Times Herald Record website.
There are hardly enough words to thank you for supporting me in this race. Six months ago, the pundits said the 19th was a "solid Republican" district. The powers-that-be wrote us off, from both parties. The media treated us like a novelty.
But you believed. You had faith. You could see what the "experts" could not: That people power can still triumph in America. That small donations can beat $2 million in corporate lobbying money. That one motivated volunteer is worth 1,000 attack ads. That hope and truth can still overcome fear and lies. That the good guys do, in fact, win in the end!
Despite Sue Kelly retracting her concession and asking for a recount, you and I and everyone in the Hudson Valley knows that we won. I should note that I agree with Sue Kelly's statement that every single vote should be counted. This is America, and if any election proves the power of one single vote in our democracy, this is it. We are confident that when the ballots are tallied, our margin of victory will give me a clear mandate to represent New York's 19th District.
I, for one, will not let this legal wrangling cloud our celebration. Instead, I will offer you my sincerest, warmest thanks. This campaign was nothing without supporters like you. I hope you feel incredibly proud of this historic victory. It is mine. It is yours. It is OURS.
You fought hard for me. Now it's my turn to go to Washington and fight for you. Because our fight for change, and justice, and truth has only just begun. Stay with me as we take our dreams to Washington.
Most sincerely yours,
John Hall

No comments: